“80 percent of success is showing up” – Woody Allen
How do you find motivation to exercise when you just don’t feel like it??? I ask myself this question every now and then, and I have the feeling I’m not the only one.
There are a million ways to motivate yourself to exercise, but these are a few that have worked for me….and trust me I’ve had days when I’ve struggled with exercise. Most recently since moving from my own familiar surroundings in the suburbs of Sydney and trying to find a new fitness program, group, gym etc, etc. I found the things that help me was having people around me while I trained or finding a workout partner/trainer (one of the best motivators!!). Also music I find is another great motivator because I get totally in the zone and not getting distracted by others around me. Make sure it is music that you feel gives you that drive and energy.
Here are a few points to think about when trying to get motivated:-
- How you feel after a workout.
- Time for you – make your “you” time a priority
- Having fun – by the way, exercise should be fun, as long as your moving its good for you
- Fitting into new clothes – say no more
- Stress relief – again, say no more
- Confidence – How good you’re going to look and how attractive you are going to feel!
- Adrenaline rush – this is the one of the biggest motivators for me – love that feeling!!!
- Time to think and contemplate – I find exercising prepares my mind for that day, week, month and keeps me positive.
- A workout partner/trainer – the best thing I’ve done and yes I too have a trainer
- Reaching a goal – always have a goal eg weight lose, muscle definition, endurance, beat that time on your 3km run, number of km’s run that week etc etc
- The dread of feeling “yuck” from not exercising
- An upcoming day at the beach, reunion, function……
- Calories burned
- Others are commenting on how good you look. – when someone notices the changes in your body, it feels good and makes you want to work our more and more.
- An exercise log – writing it down is important, try it for a week and see.
I hope these motivating tips help you!!